Friday, June 19, 2009

Sadly, homecoming was early

Well, my dread was not unwarranted. I got the call around 9:15 p.m. last night.

"Please come get your child as soon as possible. He punched another camper in the face."

Such warm, fuzzy mom moments.

He was very tired, and very upset. He truly hated camp this week. It's hard to enjoy camp when none of your cabinmates want to include you in the activities. Combine that with lack of sleep, and problems controlling impulses and anger, and what do you get? A complete meltdown.

He did say that he really liked his horse. Her name was Honey. She was much more cooperative than Cricket was last year. J said the only problem she had was she liked to eat too much.

I couldn't get mad at J for hitting the other kid, knowing that this had been brewing since the first day. I feel bad that he is so different from the kids his age that they don't want anything to do with him. I talked to him about it briefly on the ride home. Suggested that when they were breaking the rules, that he should have involved a counselor/adult.

I am upset that he hit the boy, don't get me wrong. I know it's wrong, and so does he. And there is no excuse for hitting another person.

The final straw last night was at the lake and the rope swing. The rules say that there is no saving spots in line. The boy(s) ahead of him were doing exactly that. So, of course, my son has to be insistent that they were breaking the rules and can't save spots in line. This obviously got way out of hand. One kid got hit and another sent home. So, while the counselors knew that there were major problems with this cabin of boys, I am wondering where they were while this argument was escalating. (Simple solution would have been to have an adult supervising the line, and enforcing the no saving spots/cutting in line.) I don't know, I wasn't there. Maybe I am just too simplistic.

Today is another day. Tomorrow will be a new day too.

Time for some Mac 'n Cheese, Diet Pepsi and some knitting.

1 comment:

OrigamiFox said...

Ah, shoot! I'm so sorry for both you and J. {{{hugs}}} for both of you!