Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Typical Government/University Thinking...

I have done a stupid thing. I lost my university ID card. This wouldn't be such a horrible thing, except that it is how I unlock the doors in the building.

Now, for the brilliant thinking/policy making, that can only be attributed to government and university minds. Ready? To report your card lost/stolen you must give them your name and (wait for it) the ID number that is only found on the front of your ID card.

Hello! Anyone paying attention? This number is not located anywhere else that you can access.

So, I was told that it would be best to not show up at the Ncard office for the next 6 weeks, unless it was absolutely necessary, as they are processing several hundred new students, and I would have to wait for each group to go through. (The ave. group size, you ask? 50 people)

Oh well. I will just have to stalk their office in the morning, and beat the influx of new students.

On the home front: Last Friday was the 1st day off for the summer for my kids. We went to the psychologist (we may have some new answers that make much more sense soon), then we went to the YMCA to bask in the sun in the new outdoor pool.

Saturday we went to the park, then the pool (let me tell you the water is very cold). After the pool, we went to Panera for a Lincoln Knitter's session. (only 3 of us showed up).

Sunday was the best though. We spent the entire day at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. We got there, drove around the parking lot for like 45 minutes, trying to find a parking spot (no luck). Finally got a spot across the street, then proceeded to walk around, ride the train, and ride the tram until almost 5 p.m.

Sorry, no pictures. But I will tell you that both kids were thrilled with the peacocks that roam free. And J wanted to get up close and personal with the prairie dogs that also roam free. K loved watching the sea lions. She made us get off the tram so she could watch them. (so much like me, anything about the water creatures)

The second best thing? the aquarium. We actually sat down in the shark tube for almost 10 minutes. We were all mesmerized and fascinated with the sharks, rays, puffer fish and sea turtle. I could stay in there all day and not get bored, but not the kids. I thought 10 minutes was about as long as I could make J stay in there.

Behavior has been pretty darn good from J over the weekend. But then again, he was being kept very active and busy with things that are not the same. This will wear off (i.e. the outdoor pool), but I will bask in the minimal fighting/arguing that occurred.

Knitting is going about the same, I didn't get much time over the weekend because of how busy and on the road we were, so I am in about the same spot I was the last time I checked in. I did cast on a new pair of shorty socks for J. He likes the way they feel better than store bought socks.

Well, have a great day!

(p.s. Jess, I got your postcard. Love it! Now, if you would have put your new address on there, we could send one back. PM me in Ravelry some time with your address)

1 comment:

Jess said...

your summer sounds like it got off to a great start! that sounds like a really nice weekend :) and double yay for kids behaving!!!! ;)

i'm glad you got the postcard, usps comes through again!

xoxo
jess